Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reflections on Proverbs 7:1-4

Proverbs 7:1-4 (NASB) 1 My son, keep my words And treasure my commandments within you.2 Keep my commandments and live, And my teaching as the apple of your eye.3 Bind them on your fingers; Write them on the tablet of your heart.4 Say to wisdom, "You are my sister," And call understanding your intimate friend;
The language here and in chapter 6 & 7 is emphatic. If one desires to truly follow the Lord he/she MUST intentionally embrace godly wisdom which is God’s divinely inspired Word, the final authority in all matters of human thought, speech and conduct. How can one say that they are Christians, lovers of God, if they willfully, consistently disobey His commandments? Jesus said If you love Me, keep My commandments.”John 14:15.  These commandments are born out of His all consuming love for us. As a loving father, His desire is to protect and enable us to escape the ravages of sin (1 Peter 1:2-4) that we might live lives filled with joy and peace in unbroken fellowship. 
Father God, thank you for your love. Thank you for the way you continually pursue me. Thank you for your truth and wisdom that guides and protects me. Forgive me for those times when I am resistive, when I want to go my own way. Forgive me for being so self-willed and disobedient at times. I do love you and with all my heart I embrace you as my Lord and savior, my friend, my Abba Father!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting to look at the action verbs here. They put the onus on us to seek wisdom, to treasure it, to bind it to our hearts and so on. True seekers of wisdom will take action to ensure that is abides and grows in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete