Sunday, January 22, 2012

Proverbs 15:1


Proverbs 15:1 (AMP)  1  A SOFT answer turns away wrath, but grievous words stir up anger. 
“Mild words, gentle expressions, delivered with kindness and tenderness, humility and submission; these will work upon a man's passions, weaken his resentments, and break and scatter the storm of wrath raised in his breast.” --The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible
The persuasive power of soft speech is seen again in Proverbs 25:15 “By long forbearance and calmness of spirit a judge or ruler is persuaded, and soft speech breaks down the most bonelike resistance.” (AMP)
One of the fruits of the spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes], is self control [self-restraint], Galatians 5:23. We are instructed throughout the book of Proverbs that those who are wise exercise self-control in communication. Fools on the other hand yield fully to the emotion in the moment, talking without thinking about the consequence of their words.
Proverbs 15:2,4,28 (AMP) 2  The tongue of the wise utters knowledge rightly, but the mouth of the [self-confident] fool pours out folly.; 4  A gentle tongue [with its healing power] is a tree of life, but willful contrariness in it breaks down the spirit.;  28 The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words.
I remember countless times when I have been the fool, embarrassed and ashamed of the things that came out of my mouth. I have wounded those that I love the most and offended others. With deep regret I have had to humble myself, go back confess my sin and ask for forgiveness from my wife, my children and others. What I have learned is that I need to be at my best when I feel at my worst. This can only be accomplished as I yield my life to the working of the Holy Spirit each and every day, not just in the moment!
Proverbs 18:21 (AMP) Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life].
Father God, help me each day, moment by moment, to be yielded to your Spirit. Help me to be humble in my dealing with others, to be gentle with my words. Help me to speak life, to be a peace maker, to speak words that are good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace God’s favor to those who hear it. Amen (Ephesians 4:29b)

No comments:

Post a Comment