Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Calm & Quiet Soul


PBJ-Devotional by George Stahnke
01/05/2019

“But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.”  (Psalms 131:2 ESV)

“This intimates that our hearts are naturally as desirous of worldly things as the babe is of the breast, and in like manner relish them, cry for them, are fond of them, play with them, and cannot live without them. However, by the grace of God, a soul that is sanctified, is weaned from those things.” –Matthew Henry

As a hungry Child clambers for the breast of its mother, so the carnal man clamors for that which is temporary and worldly. The challenge for us all is to grow to the place of maturity so that we no longer hunger for the milk of this world, but rather develop a hunger for the strong meat of God’s word and the joy of His presence. As the breast is only temporary and cannot satisfy long-term, so it is with the many worldly passions and pursuits.  Only as we seek those things that are eternal, will our souls be quieted and find rest. 

Father God, thank you for continually changing my desires and appetites. Admittedly, there are times when the milk of the world tempts me, but my soul indeed longs for the courts of the Lord. The strong meat of your word the blessed fellowship of your Holy Spirit, these alone calm my heart and give me tranquility of soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment