Saturday, January 12, 2019

Rising Above Bad News


01/12/2019

Psalm 112:7 (ESV) He (the righteous man) is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord. (emphasis add for context)

Who is this righteous man? How is he defined? He is a man of high morals, wholly submitted to God, living his life according to the teachings of Christ. He is a man who rises above negative emotions, and the lusts of the flesh that would cause him to stumble and compromise his integrity. He is a man who walks with God and keeps in step with the Holy Spirit. He is NOT a perfect man, and when aware of his errors and missteps, is quick to submit to God and repent.

“ . . . his heart is firmly fixed, trusting (leaning on and being confident) in the Lord.” (AMPC)

“This is a part both of the character and of the comfort of good people. It is their endeavor to keep their minds stayed upon God, and so to keep them calm, and easy, and undisturbed; and God has promised them both cause to do so and grace to do so.
It is the duty and interest of the people of God not to be afraid of evil tidings, not to be afraid of hearing bad news; and, when they do, not to be put into confusion by it and into an amazing expectation of worse and worse, but whatever happens, whatever threatens, to be able to say, with blessed Paul, None of these things move me, neither will I fear, though the earth be removed.” –Matthew Henry

Heavenly Father, I want to be this man! Help me to firmly fix my eyes upon you in all situations, to lean into your word, and the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. Help me to be steadfast, unshakable in hard and troubling times. You alone are my refuge, my anchor, my everlasting hope. In you alone I will place all my trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment