Thursday, September 14, 2017

09/14/2017 PBJ Devotional

Luke 14:17 (ESV) Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 28For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 

Those who carried the Roman cross of crucifixion understood that it was a one-way trip resulting in death. Using this analogy Jesus warns them to “count the cost.” This is no casual trip, but the journey that will demand faith, loyalty, sacrifice, and endurance to the end. The true disciple is all in. There is NO going back! (Luke 9:62)

To daily carry our cross is to personally identify with Christ and those faithful disciples that have gone before us who endured insults, rejection, persecution, suffering, and death. The cross that we have been called to carry day-by-day may look very different from our fellow believers, but carry it we must!

To be a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ is a lifelong experience of continual progressive transformation, renewing our minds, changing our desires and adjusting actions. It is a healing journey from outer darkness, despair, and woundedness, ultimately leading to a glorious eternal reward in His presence.


Father God, I affirm my decision to follow Christ. I affirm my love for You above all others. I affirm my willingness to give all for the cause of Christ. With the help of the Holy Spirit and the encouragement of my brothers in Christ, I will not look back! I will pay the price; I will daily carry my cross, I finish the race to the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment