Friday, September 22, 2017

09/22/2017 PBJ Devotional

09/22/2017 PBJ Devotional

“… I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." (Luke 22:32 ESV)

Jesus knowing the things that will come, knowing Peter, and that of his certain betrayal has in advance interceded for him in prayer. This intercessor and advocate also knew of Peter’s future regret, the anguish of his soul, and his certain repentance. Thus Jesus confidently instructs Peter, “When you have turned back to me, strengthen your brothers.”

It is true, that in moments of severe trial and temptation we all have that same capacity to deny Christ. As abhorrent as that sounds, we still have a reason to be thankful. For like Peter, we also have a faithful advocate with the Father who is praying for us with confidence, that though we stumble in our moment of weakness, our faith will remain intact. He also knows that having come through the trial we will be better able to strengthen our brothers in Christ in their times of testing and trial. (See 2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

Lord Jesus, thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for always believing in me even when in my weakness I turn my face away from yours. Forgive me for those times of momentary denial. Increase my resolve to be stronger in the trials that are certain to come. Help me to be faithful to You even as You are always faithful toward me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment