Monday, June 25, 2018

Generational Curse?


By George M Stahnke 06/25/2018

This morning in my PBJ devotional time I read the following verse. . .

You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me. Exodus 20:5 (ESV)

I was reminded of the many people that have talked to me over the years, wondering, fearful that they were under some kind of “generational curse.”  If you are that persuasion I want to submit the following except for your consideration.  

“This does not mean God punishes people directly for the sins of their ancestors. The important words are of those who hate Me. If the descendants love God, they will not have the iniquity of the fathers visited on them.

i. “‘This necessarily implies – IF the children walk in the steps of their fathers; for no man can be condemned by Divine justice for a crime of which he was never guilty.” (Clarke)

ii. “Children who repeat the sins of their father evidence it in personally hating god; hence they too are punished like their fathers.” (Kaiser)

vs. 6 But showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.  It’s possible for everyone to receive God’s mercy; if they will only turn to Him in love and obedience.”   --David Guzik, www.blueletterbible.org

Take heart my beloved brother/sister. If you are in a life-giving relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, the curses of previous generations are broken over you! You now have the opportunity to establish a new legacy, where you and future generations can prosper spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment