Friday, December 5, 2014

Immanuel—God With Us: The Reason For The Season

In just a few days people all over the world will be celebrating Christmas. To some it is simply a time for gathering with family and friends. For others it is a “High Holy Day” celebrated with great pomp and circumstance. Others look for Santa and the gifts that will soon be received.

For our family it is the time we celebrate the birth of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. There will be the traditional Christmas tree beautifully decorated, colored lights, the children’s play depicting the manger scene with all the traditional characters, Mary, Joseph, shepherds, wise men, angels and of course, the baby Jesus. And yes, we will gather with family and friends enjoying fellowship, feasting and the exchange of gifts. But we will do all of this in remembrance of why He came and who He is, the reason for the season!


Isaiah 7:14 (NIV) Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Matthew 1:20-23 (NIV)  But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”22All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23“The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”—which means, “God with us.”

2.) The priceless gift of eternal Life

As we continue to celebrate the birth of Christ it is important to remember “The reason for the season” . . . he will save his people from their sins (Matt. 1:21b).

John 6:32-33 (NIV)  Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. 33For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”

John 6:41-42 (NIV)  At this the Jews began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?”

John 6:47-51 (NIV)  I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. 48I am the bread of life. 49Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. 50But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”


As we continue to look at the scripture we cannot help but see that Jesus was calling his followers to wholehearted commitment not just a casual acquaintance. Likewise we are being called to be partakers of Christ, exhibiting wholehearted committed to Him.

John 6:52-69 (NLT)52Then the people began arguing with each other about what he meant. “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” they asked.53So Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you cannot have eternal life within you. 54But anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise that person at the last day. 55For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57I live because of the living Father who sent me; in the same way, anyone who feeds on me will live because of me. 58I am the true bread that came down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will not die as your ancestors did (even though they ate the manna) but will live forever.”59He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum. Many Disciples Desert Jesus 60Many of his disciples said, “This is very hard to understand. How can anyone accept it?”61Jesus was aware that his disciples were complaining, so he said to them, “Does this offend you? 62Then what will you think if you see the Son of Man ascend to heaven again? 63The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64But some of you do not believe me.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning which ones didn’t believe, and he knew who would betray him.) 65Then he said, “That is why I said that people can’t come to me unless the Father gives them to me.”66At this point many of his disciples turned away and deserted him. 67Then Jesus turned to the Twelve and asked, “Are you also going to leave?” 68Simon Peter replied, “Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. 69We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God.”


While we celebrate His birth we also remember that He is no longer a baby in a manger. He is the King of Kings, the Lords of Lords. He is Immanuel—God with us, our Lord and Savior! Christmas is not just the celebration of His birth; it is also the celebration of His life. It should also be a time of self-examination and renewed commitment of our lives. While many may fall away, we humbly declare we will not leave you. This is our gift back to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment